War Horse by Michael Morpurgo - teaching resource
War Horse Unit of Work
War Horse is a unit of work containing a 138-slide PowerPoint, 7 PDF worksheets and 14 lessons. This scheme of work explores the novel chapter by chapter, analysing the book’s plot, characters, themes and language through a range of engaging activities. These teaching resources can be used with Year 5 or Year 6 (Upper KS2) or with a lower ability Year 7 group either as a whole class text or as part of a guided reading programme.
Our War Horse unit includes planning (step-by-step 14-lesson unit of work overview), a fully editable PowerPoint teaching resource and accompanying PDF worksheets.
To preview the War Horse unit of work in detail refer to the images. Click on an image and it will expand, allowing you to view each PowerPoint slide in the teaching resource.
Below are examples of the activities contained in the lessons.
- Comprehension questions
- Chapter by chapter activities to consolidate understanding
- Research task – World War One
- Making predictions about War Horse using the cover, title, author and blurb
- Exploring and discussing themes
- Character analysis of Joey, Albert, Father and Captain Nicholls
- Understanding the features of a novel – how does Michael Morpurgo use language and narrative structure in War Horse?
- Close analysis of language in key scenes
- Role play and hot seating activities
- Understanding War Horse’s characters through empathetic writing – diary writing
- Developing inference and deduction skills
- Writing a newspaper story about key events in the story
To view English Teaching Resources: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo in more detail click on the PowerPoint images opposite.Our Price : £12.99 / 13 Credits