The Lady of Shalott - teaching resource
The Lady of Shalott Unit of Work
This unit of work for Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott is made up of a 144-slide PowerPoint presentation and 22 worksheets. It is based on the 1842 version of the poem, covers many of the key areas required by the National Curriculum, and includes a variety of activities for students of all abilities.
The unit is designed for use with lower KS3, but it could be adapted for use with Year 5/6.
- Activities to develop knowledge of the poem’s ‘story’
- Exploration of setting and descriptive language
- Analysis of the characters of the Lady and Sir Lancelot
- Comprehension questions (with answers) to test understanding
- Studying the use of metaphors, onomatopoeia and pathetic fallacy
- Cloze, storyboarding and sequencing activities to consolidate understanding
- Context - King Arthur, myths and legends explored
- Themes - tasks to discuss loneliness and isolation
- How to write about poetry using evidence from the text
- Creating a children's storybook version of the poem
- A range of videos to help with contextual understanding
- Empathetic writing - The Lady's diary
- An essay task
- A copy of the 1842 version of the poem
To preview this unit of work in more detail click on the PowerPoint images.
Related ResourcesOur Price : £12.99 / 13 Credits