Mystery Story Writing - teaching resource
Mystery Story Writing - Year 6/7
(Upper KS2 / Lower KS3 Writing)
This ‘Mystery Story Writing’ teaching unit is designed to help upper KS2 or lower KS3 pupils produce a piece of engaging narrative writing. ‘Mystery Story Writing’ is a complete teaching unit which includes a teaching overview, assessment guidance and plenty of engaging activities. The resource is made up of an editable 61-slide PowerPoint-based teaching resource and 8 worksheets.
- How to construct complex sentences using the 'Tell me more' activity
- Reading and exploring the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Sign of Four' by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Watching and discussing an animated version of 'The Sign of Four'
- Analysing Arthur Conan Doyle's use of language
- Understanding the key ingredients for an effective mystery story
- Write a story opening that grabs the reader’s attention
- 'Drop In' - a fun language-based class oral task
- Exploring how to build suspense in a mystery story
- How to use imagery to create a mysterious mood
- Story writing activities based on the ‘Ravenhearst Manor’ game
- Pick a number plenary to consolidate understanding
- Read and discuss ‘The Mystery of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse’ and 'magpie' ideas
- Create a newspaper report
To preview English Teaching Resources: Mystery Story Writing please click on the images from the PowerPoint resource.
Related ResourcesOur Price : £8.99 / 9 Credits