War Horse - teaching resource
War Horse is a unit of work containing a 142-slide PowerPoint, 14 PDF worksheets and 13 lessons. This scheme of work explores the novel chapter by chapter, analysing the book’s plot, characters, themes and language through a range of engaging activities. These teaching resources can be used with Year 5 or Year 6 (Upper KS2) or with a lower ability Year 7 group either as a whole class text or as part of a guided reading programme.
Below are examples of the activities contained in the lessons.
- Comprehension questions
- Chapter by chapter activities to consolidate understanding
- Research task – World War One
- Making predictions about War Horse using the cover, title, author and blurb
- Exploring and discussing themes
- Character analysis of Joey, Albert, Father and Captain Nicholls
- Understanding the features of a novel – how does Michael Morpurgo use language and narrative structure in War Horse?
- Close analysis of language in key scenes
- Role play and hot seating activities
- Understanding War Horse’s characters through empathetic writing – diary writing
- Developing inference and deduction skills
- Writing a newspaper story about key events in the story
'War Horse' can be previewed in full by clicking on the images opposite.
To download a FREE lesson from this unit of work please click here.Our Price : £12.99 / 13 Credits