The Highwayman - teaching resource
The Highwayman - Unit of Work - Teaching Resources
The Highwayman is a unit of work containing a 128-slide PowerPoint, 26 PDF worksheets and 15 lessons. This engaging scheme of work explores the poem verse by verse, analysing its narrative, characters, themes and language through a range of stimulating activities. These teaching resources can be used with either Year 6 (KS2) or Year 7/8 (KS3) depending on the ability of the students.
Our unit for The Highwayman includes planning (planning provided with a 15-lesson unit of work overview), a fully editable PowerPoint teaching resource and 26 accompanying PDF worksheets. The resource can be used to teach a whole class text or as part of a guided reading programme.
To preview ‘The Highwayman’ unit of work in detail refer to the images. Click on an image and it will expand, allowing you to view each PowerPoint slide in the teaching resource.
Activities contained in the lessons include:
- Engaging verse by verse activities to consolidate understanding as children read through the poem
- Analysis of the characters of The Highwayman, Bess and Tim the ostler
- Exploration of the poem's key themes
- Developing knowledge and understanding of poetic devices – similes, metaphors, building tension, tone and mood
- Using Point/Evidence/Explain to write about the poem
- Alfred Noyes's 'message' – exploring the author's purpose
- Cloze and sequencing activities to consolidate understanding
- Analysis of language in detail
- Role play - hot-seating activities to aid understating of characters
- Developing understanding of key characters through empathy writing activities
To preview our teaching resources for The Highwayman please click on the PowerPoint images.
Related ResourcesOur Price : £12.99 / 13 Credits