Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt
Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt is an engaging KS1 teaching resource which consists of a 37 slide PowerPoint presentation, a booklet of 33 worksheets and a teacher overview.
This resource features a wide range of engaging lessons designed to enhance and develop student knowledge and understanding of the novel Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt. It also aims to develop a variety of more general key KS1 English skills.
- An overview for teachers which explains how the unit fits into key KS1 Reading and Writing learning objectives
- Notes to guide teachers through the unit
- Background information about the author Melanie Watt
- Talk for writing tasks
- Characterisation study - Creating a video diary for Scaredy Squirrel
- Using props as a discussion stimulus
- Compound sentences
- Making plurals by adding 's' or 'es'
- Recount skills and asking questions
- Discussion of events, characters and themes - using zone of relevance technique
- How to produce a ‘story map’
- Adding 'ed' to make past tense verbs
- Understanding persuasive techniques
- Writing the days of the week
- Constructing a simple story
- Learning a poetry by heart
- Cross curricular - science (environment, living things, squirrel facts), maths (telling the time)
- And a lot more including a word search, a maze game and links to even more activities!
In addition to the above, there is a clear link to the Year 2 Programme of Study for Science: Living things in their habitats which could be built upon. Teachers will identify PSHE opportunities arising from the story (e.g. teaching children to face their fears) and SEAL links (New Beginnings). If this unit is taught in the summer term, there are opportunities for children to consider their own feelings as they prepare to leave a familiar class and go into the ‘unknown’.
There are also specific activities to teach grammatical aspects of English which are in line with the statutory requirements and the notes and guidance of the English Curriculum, and teachers will identify further opportunities which should be tailored to meet specific children’s needs. Phonic activities are broadly in line with Phase 5 and Phase 6 of Letters and Sounds.
To preview English Teaching Resources: Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt please click on the images opposite.
Related ResourcesOur Price : £9.99 / 10 Credits