Noughts and Crosses - KS3 Unit of Work - teaching resource
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman – KS3 Unit of Work
Noughts and Crosses is a unit of work containing a 161-slide PowerPoint, 28 PDF worksheets and 15 lessons. This engaging scheme of work explores Malorie Blackman's novel chapter by chapter, analysing its plot, characters, themes and language through a range of stimulating activities. Resources can be used at KS3 with either Year 8 or Year 9 depending on the ability of the students.
Our unit for Noughts and Crosses includes a fully editable PowerPoint teaching resource and 28 accompanying PDF worksheets. The resource can be used to teach a whole class text or as part of a guided reading programme.
To preview our ‘Noughts and Crosses’ unit of work in detail, refer to the images. Click on an image and it will expand, allowing you to view each PowerPoint slide in the teaching resource.
Activities contained in the lessons include:
- Exploring the social context of Noughts and Crosses, apartheid, civil rights, the novel’s introduction, and Malorie Blackman’s motives for writing it
- Engaging chapter by chapter activities to consolidate understanding as learners read through the book
- Reading comprehension questions to assess students’ knowledge of plot, character, language, and themes - with example answers
- Analysis of the characters of Sephy, Callum, Kamal, Jasmine, Meggie, Ryan, Jude, Lynette, Minnie
- Exploration of the key themes of friendship, racism, growing up, prejudice, privilege, love, power and social segregation
- Developing the key reading skills of inference and deduction
- Analysis of language and techniques such as effective description, creating conflict and building tension
- Role play - hot-seating to aid understating of characters, plot and themes
- Developing understanding of key characters through empathy writing tasks
- Plus many more fun starter, plenary and reading and writing activities
To view our Noughts and Crosses KS3 Unit of Work (161-slide PowerPoint, 28 PDF worksheets and 15 lessons) slide by slide, click on the images.Our Price : £13.99 / 14 Credits