Reading > Prose > Novel
Matilda by Roald Dahl teaching resource
221 slide editable PowerPoint presentation
Teacher’s notes/unit overview
Matilda is a comprehensive teaching resource featuring a series of engaging lessons designed to enhance and develop pupil knowledge and understanding of the novel Matilda by Roald Dahl. It includes a wide range of activities and lessons for pupils of all abilities, focusing on NC objectives for KS2 and KS3.
The resource covers the following:
- Making predictions - what might happen from details stated and implied
- Empathetic writing in character
- Exploring and analysing characters
- Roald Dahl’s use of language
- Exploring key themes - loneliness, being different, triumph of good over evil
- Discussion of plot, characters and themes - using decision alley, role play and drama techniques
- Opportunities for a range of writing: report writing; descriptive writing; diary writing; instructions; recounts; persuasive writing; writing in role.
- Specific teaching of grammar and punctuation in line with the English National Curriculum: reading comprehension skills: scanning, skinning and close reading; vocabulary development; use of prepositions; expanded noun phrases; dialogue punctuation; use of apostrophe; suffixes; verb tenses including present perfect; sentence types: statement, command, exclamation; homophones. Teachers will identify further opportunities which should be tailored to students’ needs.
- And a lot more!
The whole unit of work could be completed in about 2 weeks, or extended to half a term’s work using the suggested links.
It is not intended to be a prescriptive unit of work where all activities are worked through slavishly, although it is structured chronologically. Teachers should select from, and adapt, these resources to meet the needs of the pupils they teach. There are some potentially sensitive issues explored throughout the story and teachers should make their own decisions about which elements to include. All the links to external sites are valid at the date of publication but should be checked before use.
To preview English Teaching Resources: Matilda please click on the images from the PowerPoint slideshow opposite.
Related ResourcesOur Price : £14.99 / 15 Credits