Macbeth - teaching resource
Macbeth GCSE Unit of Work
Macbeth is a GCSE unit of work containing a 192-slide PowerPoint, 44 worksheets, lesson plans and a unit overview. This engaging unit explores the play act by act and scene by scene, analysing its plot, characters, themes, language and historical context through a range of stimulating activities. The unit can be used if you are following the AQA, Eduqas, Edexcel or OCR GCSE course.
To preview our Macbeth GCSE unit of work teaching resource, click on the images. Clicked images will expand, allowing you to browse each PowerPoint slide in detail.
Below are examples of the activities contained in the lessons.
- Historical / social / literary context - a biography of Shakespeare's life and the Elizabethan theatre
- Scene by scene activities to consolidate understanding
- Comprehension questions to assess students’ knowledge of plot, character, language, context and themes
- Analysis of the characters of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and Banquo
- Exploration of the key themes (ambition, betrayal, evil, the supernatural)
- The social and historical context of the play – witches, witchcraft and the play’s representation of women
- Developing key reading skills - inference and deduction
- Using P.E.T.E.R. Point/Evidence/Technique/Explain/Reader to write an effective GCSE exam response
- Close analysis of Shakespeare’s language, key quotes and Macbeth's key soliloquies and monologues
- Shakespeare's use of tension and suspense in Macbeth
- Role play - hot-seating activities
- Understanding key characters through empathy writing tasks – diaries and letters
- Video links to help the teaching and learning of key scenesOur Price : £14.99 / 15 Credits