Comparing Poems - Dulce et Decorum Est and The Charge of the Light Brigade - teaching resource
Dulce et Decorum Est and The Charge of the Light Brigade
(109-slide PowerPoint and 19 worksheets)
Comparing Poems: Dulce Et Decorum Est and The Charge of the Light Brigade is a combined GCSE resource for teaching War Poetry and the theme of conflict. The resource consists of a 103-slide PowerPoint and 39 pages of worksheets. The activities cover a range of tasks for all abilities and detailed analysis of both poems. The PowerPoint also provides teachers with approaches to comparing the poems.
Dulce et Decorum Est (Wilfred Owen)
Dulce et Decorum Est contains a 53-slide PowerPoint and 19 worksheets. Resources cover a range of lessons and activities that can be used as a standalone lesson on Dulce et Decorum Est or incorporated into a wider scheme of work on war poetry. Dulce et Decorum Est includes:
- A biography of Wilfred Owen
- The historical and social context of Dulce et Decorum est - World War One, trench warfare, propaganda posters and poetry - film footage included
- An introduction to the poem, including a video and audio reading of 'Dulce et Decorum Est'
- A copy of 'Dulce et Decorum Est'
- Consolidation of understanding and comprehension tasks
- Wilfred Owen's use of imagery in Dulce et Decorum Est
- Structure and poetic techniques in the poem
- The theme and message of Dulce et Decorum Est
- Links to the Wilfred Owen website, more war poetry, an audio video reading of Dulce et Decorum Est, BBC history WWI resources, Recruiting and war propaganda posters
- Comparing the poems framework
The Charge of the Light Brigade (Tennyson)
The Charge of the Light Brigade (Alfred Lord Tennyson) is a 42-slide PowerPoint analysis of the poem The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson and an accompanying 15-page worksheet booklet.
The Charge of the Light Brigade includes:
- A brief biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Social and historical context of the poem
- Analysis of the poem The Charge of the Light Brigade and discussion of ideas and consolidation
- Structure & language - Discuss how Tennyson employs structure and analysis of imagery in The Charge of the Light Brigade.
- Style and form - Analysis of Tennyson's style and form and the use of poetic devices in The Charge of the Light Brigade.
- Language - Exploration of word choices.
- Themes of The Charge of the Light Brigade explored, consolidation of meaning and purpose.
- Links - Where to find further information and analysis of the poet and the battle and clips from the film.
- A framework for comparing the poems
To preview Comparing Poems: Dulce et Decorum Est and The Charge of the Light Brigade click on the images.Our Price : £5.99 / 6 Credits