Blessing - teaching resource
FREE English Teaching Resources: Poems from Different Cultures – Blessing (Imitiaz Dharker).
Lessons include a 31 slide PowerPoint.
Blessing fully utilises PowerPoint as an effective teaching tool; all PowerPoint slides are clear and easy to follow and use a number of techniques to help students develop knowledge and understanding of the poem Blessing. Striking headlines, effective use of colour, photographs and video are all used to bring analysis of the poem alive. The resource can also be used very effective on a PC or laptop in one to one tuition with students.
As with all our resources, the Blessing PowerPoint allows teachers to edit the content of every slide. Teachers can tweak, personalise and differentiate Blessing to their heart’s content!
Free English Teaching Resources: Poems from Different Cultures – Blessing (Imitiaz Dharker) is a comprehensive and extensive resource. A series of lessons designed to develop pupil knowledge and understanding of all parts of the poem. English Teaching Resources: Poems from Different Cultures – Blessing (Imitiaz Dharker) covers a wide range of activities for pupils of all abilities such as:
* a quick biography of Imitiaz Dharker and the social and historical context of Blessing
* activities to develop knowledge of the ‘narrative’ of Blessing
* exploration of the key themes of Blessing (poverty, drought, political and social inequality etc)
* the literary, social and historical context of the poem (the slums of Dharavi, C20th India)
* developing awareness of techniques used in poetry – metaphor, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration, etc
* teaching the use of Point/Evidence/Explain to write about Blessing
* Imitiaz Dharker’s purpose and the poem’s meaning
* analysis of Imitiaz Dharker’s use of language in Blessing
* Imitiaz Dharker’s use of poetic techniques
* developing inference and deduction skills
To preview English Teaching Resources: Poems from Different Cultures - Blessing (Imitiaz Dharker) click on the images.